View Single Post
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Power User

Got her pretty well wrapped up. First test thrash resulted in ...

Gas pedal hitting pitman/rod end bolt when matted...BFW ... heave-ho and the pitman arm clears now

Snap clips on the Limiter cable lasted all of 5 minutes before bending open. I have interlocking ones to "upgrade" to.

Suspension is 1960s cadillac over the rough stuff--just soaks it up--i ran over some nice foot+ rocks for giggles and not a clang to be heard!

Now for the
Engine runs like dogpuckey, couldn't really thrash it out, maybe getting 10-15 mph out of it.

Looking at the convertor, it's in the #2 spring position. When i hit it, it needs to get about 1/2 throttle or more before the belt grabs and it goes. seems to be all "top gear" Sort of always been that way, but now it seems magnified.

I tried tightening up the convertor belt by moving the engine forward, (it seems too loose) but really didn't gain anything before there was no more slotted hole left to use.

I can get a full throttle run for a few seconds, then it stutters and dies way down. It's not stalling, more like getting really choked off. In the woods, little hills i was pulling right up before i'm now at a dead stop, gassing it for 4-10 seconds before it grabs and goes again. The air intake has great vacuum.

I opened up the 166 jet with a #56 drill bit, not much larger. Plug and tailpipe are still very black/sooty. I've got the carb linkage running as just one spring from the throttle lever to the governor lever, with the throttle tang trimmed and bent to get to wide open. To do that though, the governor arm is also going all the way against its stop. Is the governor kicking in and limiting engine speed because of that???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sarm51.jpg (25.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg sarm52.jpg (34.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg sarm53.jpg (54.8 KB, 58 views)