View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:42 AM
Lurker

Default The "Spud mobile"

Hello! awesome site! just found it today, have been wanting a buggy since I was a kid, so I finally rounded up enough parts and material, and this is what I came up with. Its not the greatest, but it does work! the engine is a polaris 295 twin, 2 stroke, from an old sled, no suspension. its always a work in progress, because i like to fart around with this kinda thing! feel free to comment and ill try to answer any questions!http://www.buggymasters.com/forum/pi...pictureid=1398

Ya the seat belt still needs to be sorted out! (shhhhh, dont tell anyone!) the flag came from a trip to Maui years ago, thought it suited the buggy! I need to get a newer picture, as that was taken early in the summer. The floor pan is finnished now and the steering wheel was replaced with more of a handle bar style.

Oh and if anybody can delete the 3 extra pictures that would be great! Sorry bout that!

I was woking on my buggy today, so I snapped some pics as I went. feel free to comment, but go easy on me, this has been my first build!!! Most of my parts were from donation, or the local landfill. And an old Polaris Colt 295cc snowmobile!

Then after I had it back together I had to go for a test run, and this happened!!

The tire had some small checks in the rubber, but I guess to many hard corners and doughnuts made it tear like that. It was on an old honda atc 110 that i picked up awhile ago, and had sat flat for to long. Good idea on the gussets, I still have lots of stuff to do to it. Im sure liking the 22-11x8 tires compaired to the 25-10 x10's that I had on before, it rides so soft now!

the axle is thru pipe with a brass bushing, grease nipple on the bottom and a collar on the outside. the axle is 1 1/4 hardened steel that I got from a blasting company (old drill rod) If it gets any wear, then I can just replace the bushing I figure. Its hillbilly I know, but it works! I will be playing around with the front end tommorrow, so I'll take some pics of the steering setup. It turns, but it pushes into the corners until you get on the gas enough to swing the ass end out. might just be the tires that are on it

I've actually been working on this for about 2 years, so this wasnt the maiden voyage. I was reading up on the "Ackerman angle", and I think that might be my issue with the steering. Im gonna check on that today. Where the tie rods meet the spindles, is there a certain length they should be? ( that probably doesnt make sence, Ill explain more later, with pics, thanks!

I was thinking the same thing, might try something a bit more aggresive up front, or a little narrower. maybe Ill try to modify the tread pattern on these if I cant find anything

I took some pics today... but they are not really good for showing how my steering is set up. I'll remove my floor piece later. I got my grinder busy and modify'ed my front tires. Ill put the picture up, but you guys have to promise not to laugh at my bird **** welds! I've got a stick welder from canadian tire, I just cant run a nice bead with it, but I try!! I was also thinking it might push due to the front end being a bit to light? probably a combination of everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buggy 008.jpg (98.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 009.jpg (98.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 010.jpg (99.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 012.jpg (98.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 015.jpg (96.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 013.jpg (97.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 014.jpg (91.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg buggy 011.jpg (91.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg buggyfront 002.jpg (99.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg buggyfront 003.jpg (94.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg buggyfront 004.jpg (92.2 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by metalstudman1; 03-05-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: requested by member