View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 AM
Lurker

Default gearing/sprockets

Hey guys, first of all I'm a newbie here. I recently bought an unfinished project and have been fixing/adjusting things as I go. Originally it was some sort of Chinese twin seater with a 250cc. But now the frame has been extended, plus it has a motorbike engine in it, from a Honda VFR 750 road bike, 6 speed. Ive managed to get all my front end sorted, me next problem is utilizing its power/potential. I'm no expert on any of this stuff so bear with me! I reckon its geared way too much toward low end grunt. Basically don't use first at all, take off in second with clutch, then can just flick through the rest of the gears without clutch. Problem is it revs out way too early. Pretty much only use 6th gear, the way its set up at the moment it feels like its still pulling and should have another 3 gears! I figure it has to be to do with the sizes of the sprockets. Now Ive read a few posts about people having a 4:1 ratio as in say 15 teeth on the front and 60 on the back then adjusting from there.. Trouble is mine is already at 1:1, 17 teeth each one.. Plus it has a diff with forward, neutral and reverse, could the diff be the prob?. I was thinking of getting a smaller cog by one or two teeth at the back but I'm not sure! Any help/hints would be greatly appreciated! Also pretty sure that the same model bike runs a 16 and 43 if that might help