Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Heavy Contributor

Took the maiden voyage today! Rode around the yard for a while getting a feel for this thing The pics are of a long time friend and buggy partner who had to try it! I think he got more seat time than I did!

I had my fingers crossed that the wiring system was correct. This was the first one I built totally from scratch. I wasn’t sure if it would even start! It didn’t! Turned out to be just a faulty coil. Switched out for another and she fired right up
-The motor started to load up and run rough and was hard to start after it warmed up. I suspect the Fuel enrichener isn’t working properly.
-The jury is still out on the shocks. Rode like a Cadillac through the grass but I am pretty sure they won’t cut it on the trails. It’s gonna take some fiddling to get them right.
-Gas peddle wants to stick and won’t let the motor idle down when letting up easy. Letting the peddle snap back closes the throttle. Got a sticky spot some where in the linkage.
-Got a bad spade connector on the coil. Won’t hold tight. Tach reads intermittent due to a poor connection. I’ll have to change out that connector.
-Cylinder head temp not registering on trail tech. may be another bad connection. Or I didn’t program the trail-tech correctly.
-Brakes? Way- way too soft! Pedal will firm up when pumped. Another bleed session or two or three. Going to take a while to get all the air out. I think!

Shut the buggy off out in the yard and it wouldn’t start again . Nothing! Totally dead , no power, Acted like a totally dead battery. I insured the charging system was functioning correctly at initial start but absolutely nothing had power! Pushed it back to the shop, rolled up on the lift, gave it another try and it cranked and fired perfectly. Got a loose connection someplace.
All and all I am very pleased. . A few snafu’s but not nearly what I had anticipated. I’m sure more will popup as I get to ride but for a first time out.. Not bad at all.
It will take some getting used to this chassis. The weight bios and center of gravity is totally different from what I am used to. Mental note to self…. Wear all my safety equipment! I got a feeling I’m going to flip this ride during the learning curve!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 260.jpg (99.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 263.jpg (99.4 KB, 79 views)