Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Maybe, we toss alot of after market hitches, and thats where my HD stuff is sourced from. So basically, its a solid round slug, drilled and tapped for the heim with the correct ID to match the square tube? That sounds both heavy and potentially expensive.

No, it is square, 2"x2", 1/4" wall. I have a fair bit of it, although heavy, it was free. The way I was thinking was to drill all the way through the already added tube, and into the original metal, add some round tube the diameter of the bung, weld it inside and out, and then add the bung. I could use the extra length of the bung, but if it is weak, then it isn't needed. I figured that way, it would be attached to the actual swingarm, instead of just the added extension.
You're correct on the heavy part, most of my machine shop sourced items were done in trade, so i got lucky there.

I think the real issue with the bungs isn't that the bung itself is weak. Rather, the thinwall swingarm tubing is more the cause for concern. If you're building wall thickness whith teh square tube over top of the original tubing, then your idea would likely work fine with a bung. The only spot you'd have to pay attention to would be the point where your added tubing ends on the old tubing. If its in a stressed/loaded position, that weld juncture would be your likely failure point.

that's the one "game" we all play with modding/beefing these things up--all you're doing a lot of the times is moving the stressed/failure point to another area.