Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Make sure you don't have a bearing going in the final drive. I had a similar problem which turned out to be a bearing. I had a vibration as you but it also made noise which was hard to hear from the drivers seat.
Thanks for the heads up ,Tom. I'll check the bearings while the rear is torn down. I purposely rode without a helmet for the explicit reason of listening for any abnormal noise. The motor sounded smooth and tight but that doesn't mean a bearing can't be in the first stages of going south.
A couple of things I got to consider.. with the heim pivots on the swing arm ,the rubber isolating bushings are gone so I can expect a increase in swing arm and motor vibration to be transmitted through the whole chassis. I expected some but this seems excessive. May need to investigate the possibility's of isolators at the heim connection.
Second.. I installed a torque limiter to stop excessive motor twist which allowed chain slack which in turn caused gear skip. This too may be transmitting vibration not normally felt up to the drivers seat. Easy enough to disconnect and see.
I'm hoping I caught nothing more than a bad case of clutch chatter!

torque limiter at rear top
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 261.jpg (91.6 KB, 56 views)