View Single Post
Old 09-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Lurker

It was a local car gathering, more than a show, as the promoter advertised to the participants and gear heads at local garages, but neglected to advertise to the general public. Maybe a dozen or so vehicles showed up, but very few spectators. Their included bake sale didn't do so well as a result. They were begging people to take free cookies at the end of the day. Sometimes the promoters don't think things through.

It was held at a local park, with a half mile, paved path surrounding it. We brought the 1966 Tempest convertible, the 1967 GTO go kart, and an early Wheel Horse tractor. We had them parked next to each other on the grass. Next to us was a home built trike with a Ford V-8. There were a few 1950's and older vehicles as well. There was no judging.

When we realized there wasn't going to be any more spectators, I told my ten year old boy to go ahead and drive the kart around the paved path. He drove around like it was a mini road. He was having a ball. A photographer was chasing him down to get pictures. I took it around the path once myself. Someone had to point out to me that it wasn't running right. I forgot to open the choke. I meant to put an extension on the choke lever, but forgot. It is accessible, but hidden just under the body. The only other issues we had was the chain coming off, and a loose exhaust, both due to driving the low kart across the grass.

Overall, it was a fun experience, and a few old friends who hadn't seen each other in decades got reunited.