View Single Post
Old 12-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

GY6 comes in 2 versions- long & short case.The GY6 needs a solid axle, the engine is the chain tensioner- transmission is in the case, there are different types of reverse-but they mount to or come in the case. Just for info's sake- A stock CVT set-up in the GY6 will last for years "un-touched" if it isn't abused, where'as a Comet style CVT requires dry lube & cleaning about every 20 hrs and is exposed to the elements causing pre-mature failure or wore out belts. I've run a GY6 for more than 500 hrs without any maintenance other than an oil change, Dirt/mud is the biggest culprit to the electrical system. 70 watts is about all the output on a GY6 without damaging the stator or regulator.You are correct about the HP rating, Again the biggest difference is the rpm range and the wheel speed it developes. Either type engine can have issues- the carbs on the GY6 are excellent in comparison when it comes to auto choke/fuel enrichment valve and tunability.Hope this helps a little more- I'd go take some pic's of a GY6 in a buggy but all mine are ATV type now!