View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 10:39 AM
Supporting Vendor

My 78 Cutlas started pulling hard right when I let go of the steering wheel after driving awhile. Let it sit over night it was fine until I drove it again for some time. Replaced the caliper but same problem. Turned out to be a collapsed brake hose. When things heat up with the brakes the line swells inside not allowing the fluid to return and release the caliper. Once cooled down the fluid will slowly release the caliper. Not saying this is your problem but it is something most will not look for unless they have run into this before. When everything is cooled down and you hit the brake and hold the wheels should lock up and when you let off the pedal the wheels should freely spin. This tells you your master and caliper are fine unless of coarse the pedal freeplay is not there. This only leaves the lines to fault. The brake line (hose) is made in layers, the first inner layer, than the support layer which usually used some kind of cord to add some structure than the outer layer to protect the cord layer. They are than moulded together by a heat process. If the inner layer separates from the corded layer pressure is applied to stop vehicle but when you let off the brake the inner layer is sucked in not allowing the fluid pressure to release from caliper. Things you already know is the brakes do stop the buggy when applied. so this tells you the master is good and the calipers are good. When the brakes heat up the brake locks up but free up when cooled down again the caliper is not the culprit. When calipers stick they stick and the only way to unstick is to pry piston back. This happens hot or cold regardless. Same with the master if they stick hot or cold won't matter. You have 2 hoses for the brakes one from the reservoir to master the other from the master to caliper. One of the 2 hoses are collapsed inside I believe.