View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Heavy Contributor

That's looking good! I see you have mounted the oil cooler up on the frame. That's a good place to get the full benefits from the cooler. there are a few issues with mounting the cooler up high. Firstly, the oil level in the case, the cooler and lines hold approximately 25% of the oil in the motor. This means while running, the oil level in the case is below optimum operating level. adding more oil to case means when you shut down oil in the lines and cooler drain back to the case and you got a overfill problem.

secondly the fittings in the case half are tapped in the galley that feeds oil to the head. Starting up after the oil has drained from the cooler and lines. there is a delay of oil pressure to the head while the lines and cooler are filling. I don't know if there is a real issue with this but my instincts tell me the head is running dry too long.

The cure for all this is to simply invert the cooler so the inlets are on Top. the cooler stays full and primed. fill the cooler with oil then the case and life is good.
I installed a T-fitting in one of the cooler outlets to give a place to connect a oil pressure gauge. that gauge shows you what is happening.