View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 04:55 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalstudman1 View Post
Looking awesome
Just curious is the square tubing structure in the floor going to be the new mounting point for the gas & brake pedal? When I did my rack relocation I was going to put it in the center as well but the steering shaft and gas pedal were in conflict with my feet. Also how's the travel on the heims with them at the same angle as the A-arm? I know the heim bushing doesn't care where it's at in the shroud as long as the bolt doesn't make contact.
Yup, the square tubing is for pedal relocation. I did that for comfort, before relocating the SB, then ended up with the double benefit!

I know it's hard to see, but there is a 5 degree angle on the heims to the A-arms, but with the long shocks 7.5 would have been almost perfect. I do use the hi-mis align bushings on the top and botton hiem thou, and on the tie rod end. At maximum angle, for the shock extended and compressed lengths, the Hi-mis bushings do NOT bottom out, Bottom out occurs on suspension compression about 1.75" after the shock would have completely compressed. TOPPING out, would occur at about 1" beyond full shock extension.
So, if I get any damage to the heims from top or bottom extensions, it will be after something else has already broken, and I'll probably be in a pickle out in the midddle of the boonies somewhere...

Think I'm gonna carry an HRS radio set, with a claimed 32 mile range......LOL

Tom, I've been thinking about a "purpose built" drag buggy myself. The Yerfie is already light, but I think I could nip 40lbs off the front alone.
Be thinking "hot rods, drag modifieds, etc,,,," Staright tube front axle, light weight radius rods, suicide mount transverse leaf spring, handbuilt aluminum bearing/wheel hubs, 8" diax4" wide light duty ITP aluminum wheels. Expanded aluminum floor pan....all kinds of ideas for lighter weight, yet strong enough to drag race. Trail duty and hill climbs would be verboten, but if it ever shows enough interest, I might fab up a couple of extra straight axle front ends.....

You wouldn't beleive the idea I'm working on for a trail buggy/hill climber...AWD, twin engine.....

Last edited by kliff; 09-01-2010 at 04:57 AM.