View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 02:28 AM
Contributor

Default Just call me Stupid

I "had" a Yerf Dog Spiderbox that I got for about free. It was in fairly sad shape and missing a few parts. So I sold the front end off of it, pulled the motor and all electronics for spare for my HH. Then the frame was just sitting there collecting weeds. I knew that I would be getting a second buggy eventually, but to be honest, I just wasn't that big of a fan for the yerfs. Also, I was looking for something with an independent re-end.

Well the wife got tired of it sitting there so she placed an add on CL and 2 days and $75 later it was gone. Fast forward to yesterday. I am always watching CL and a buggy popped up on there for $150. The pictures were pretty bad, but it looked like it had some potential. I drove for 1-1/2 hours and when I got there, I had a really hard time holding back my smile. Yes the buggy was rough and missing quite a few parts, but all of the main components were still there. The best part is that it was a Joyner 650SS.

I doubt that the engine runs, but at least it isn't seized. Also, it could be one of those projects where you end up nickel and diming yourself to death. It is also a little bit too big for many of the places that we like to go. However, all of the suspension is there along with the brakes. So I am thinking that I will probably graft the suspension onto the frame of a smaller buggy and then use a motorcycle motor (2 stroke) as a power plant. I figure that I can part out the motor and sell the trans and other items to help offset the cost.

So I was out looking at it today and letting the wheels turn, when all of a sudden my foot tried to kick me in the butt . I just realized that the yerf would have made a perfect frame for what I am thinking of doing. From the way that the front of the frame terminates, to the design of the rear. I HAD a perfect setup up for me to start my project. Now I have to keep watching CL.

Just call me stupid