View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 PM

Well, I dodged a bullet......

So there's a really big bike Rally in Chillcothe OH. (Easyriders Rodeo Tour)

I wanted to take the kart and pull a trailer of friends behind it, so I made some mods to her.

Added a 2" ball hitch

Installed the NCY ball bearing clutch spring seat to stiffen the stock spring up

Installed 12g sliders instead of the 14g

Re-installed the 39t rear sprocket and longer chain

Stock CDI (lower rev limiter than NCY)

Figured these mods should allow me to pull some weight with her.

Sooooo........ We needed some ice while camping and you're allowed to drive your kart/ATV/golf cart/SXS or whatever down a short stretch of road (maybe 1/2 mile) to get to a gas station on the corner. (waving to Sheriffs as you go bye)

I noticed the kart was revving pretty high with the gear change and was only running around 20-25 MPH I would guess. Figured it should pull a trailer with no problem now.

Got back with no issue.

Did the trip 1 more time a little while later for some adult beverages and had no issues.

Now the time comes to really try this thing out. So I hook up the trailer, load up 4 guys on the back with the GF riding shotgun. Start it up and it dies.

Push the start button and it stops cranking. Start it up and it dies. Can't get it started again. BUMMER!!!!!!!

Fast forward to tearing it down and.........

The top timing chain guide slid off.

Here's where I dodged the bullet. BOTH valves kissed the piston. (made contact) BUT, neither one bent.

I made a modification to the chain guide and put it all back together. And she fired right back up when i was done. Whew.......
My Yerban assault vehicle: 2.2mm stroker crank, 62mm Nikasil cyl, Taida large vavle head, American made valve springs, ported intake manifold, TM 28mm carb, stock CDI, Bando coil, TK exhaust, stock CVT except for the 14g sliders, 13/40 internal gears, 16T drive, 31T axle sprocket, 22" rear tires, and ONE BIG POTATO CANNON mounted on top..........