Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Heavy Contributor

Using the swing arm and hangers in the stock form serves several purposes. Retaining the stock swing arm width gives you the ability to use the wider 42" axle which in turn allows for a wider wheel without clearance issues against the swing arm or shock. No wheel spacers or such junk! I use a 9" wide wheel with a 3/6 offset, 11" wide tire and stay just under the 54" width limitations imposed by state/federal atv land use regulations.
The stock hanger serves as a strong mounting point and brace with extra welding suface to mount the outer bearing box to. Since the hanger is there. might as well put a bearing in it. Doesn't hurt and I think you can't support the axle too much.
I make my own exhausts. They run from under the head, turns up and run over the swing arm above the CVT. This configuration allows me to get the length and pipe diameters I want with only 3 bends.This means I can buy pre bent sections, fit them together to make a inexpensive and extremly effective exhaust. It gets the exhaust out and away from the motor which really aids cooling. The beauty of this pipe is it allows access to the CVT cover without having the exhaust in the way. I can perform maintinance and repairs without having to remove any componet off the motor. Having to pull a wheel and remove a shock just to snake the pipe off is a PITA! I also have the room to use any muffler/spark arrestor I choose.
Adding the drivers side brake disc will make the CVT cover removal a little harder but I feel the trade off is worth it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brace3.jpg (94.6 KB, 115 views)