Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
yeah, curious about the prebent sections also... I want to move my muffler up out of the way or to the other side of the buggy, but where you have it seems to be a great spot too.

Also, I didn't think about this at first but with the new 1" axle it would be easy to remove, you can just slide it off once you remove all of the lock collars... I was still thinking about the old axle, where you have to beat the bearings out to remove it, I didn't want to make my job of removing the axle any harder by adding extra bearings that close and not being able to get to them.
using the 1" inner dia. pvc pipe over the axle serves as lateral spacers and also keeps the axle clean. it's the nicks, rust and crud that collects on the axle that makes it tough to remove. Regardless of how many bearings, the axel slips through without much effort. applying a coat of grease to the axle while assembling the spacers makes the job even easier.
The pipe I get bent at a fab shop. it's three pieces, two @ 90 degree bends and one @ 45 degree bends. all three have 8" straight ends on both sides of the bends and I cut to fit. I use .058 x1'' for the first two 90 bends then step up to 1'1/4 for the 45 degree piece then step up again to use a 1'1/2 reducer to mate a muffler. total length is 28". The first 90 comes directly out of the head turns towards the driver side parallel with the swing arm, the second 90 turns up at the same angle as the swingarm side tubes then the 45 levels out the pipe along the top of the swing arm. Kinda hard to draw this thing out without using 3d to show how the pipe fit but you get the idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg header pipe.jpg (8.1 KB, 44 views)