View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Heavy Contributor

I just drove through Denver two weekends ago and had my 250cc buggy with me. Although I'm jetted for 1000-2000', I was able to ride in areas 6000-8000' but the plug would load up if driving slowly and deceleration had a lot of back fire due to running rich. Expect to be jetted 10 less on the main and 2.5-5 less on the pilot than at sea level. You may find with a less restrictive intake at elevation, that the OEM lean jetting may be just fine.

I like the 12g sliders in a 150cc setup but prefer the 2000 rpm main torque spring so it "down shifts" the CVT quicker and holds the belt tighter. I would swap out the axle sprocket for a larger 39t if it did not come with one. SycArms can provide you with higher ratio (lower gear) final drive gears if you need even more torque.

An open air filter on a 6" intake tract will free up breathing and offer you better filter choices than what is in your box. The exhaust can be improved with a 1" header pipe and better flowing muffler. Since you are in a high fire danger area, make sure the muffler you choose is USFS approved with a spark arrestor or you build your own arrestor into the muffler you select. For torque, I like the A12 cam - It has a long duration but not that much lift. It will hurt top end slightly but make a noticeable difference in how the engine pulls hills.

Unless you you have an ignition failure, upgraded components are not worth the price. As you replace the parts due to wear or age, you can experiment with the performance products but don't expect much change.

The Trail Tech is best bang for the buck instrument cluster. It will give you head temperature, RPM, speed and time in a compact weather proof package. Power available for lights or winch on a 150 is minimal. If you upgrade the battery larger than a 14Ah, you will find the the stock charging system will not be able to fully charge the battery and you will need to top it off with an external charger. Lighting can be improved by going with LED, but be aware that some of the 150's tap directly off the AC power on the stator instead of the battery's DC. This will shorten the life of an LED light if you power it through AC.

You will be disappointed in OEM tires. They typically are thin and are not very aggressive. I suggest running 22" tall front and rear to give better clearance but not rob too much power from the engine.

The 150cc engine is not powerful, but you can get excellent speed or torque out of it as long as you do not want both. Your riding style and terrain will determine where you find that balance between the two.