View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 07:45 AM
Contributor

Default Spiderbox Project Thread

I started this thread over at DIYGoKarts but I'm getting little to no feedback so I'm moving over here. Hoping to get some useful feedback.

I picked up a spiderbox (I don't even know which model) on a trade. Had been sitting in the weather for a year but supposedly ran when it was parked.

Ball joints were held on by a washer tack-welded in place..

Rear tires were shot, wheels should have been trashed. I cleaned them up best I could and coated them in rustoleum. Had to move the valve stems as tubes were installed.

I installed heims to replace the ball joint issue. Felt good to cut that trash off.

Drilled 7/8" holes with drill press for heim install.

Waiting for paint to cure to install grease fittings.

I didn't think I would ever get the bolts and rods out the control arm bushings. They were pretty badly corroded and had to be hammered out. The bolts were actually warped. As they rotated the entire control arm gyrated.

After a soak in the ultrasonic cleaner:

In case anyone is curious the lower ones were the most corroded. I've since cleaned up the rods and have all new grade 8 hardware awaiting reassembly.

Passenger side hub was severely seized. Had to be pulled, heated, and beaten simultaneously to get it loose.

I have 22s for the rear and 19s for the front. Blaster front shocks for the rear. Up front I'm still deciding if I really want 3" of added ground clearance you get from the higher end pre-made solutions. I've got the BD hubs for the front wheels.

I added 2" spacers on the rear but I'm going to drop down to 1" after reading some posts on here about axle failure. Going to ride on the stock axle setup for the time being, until something fails.

I did come up with a fairly cheap intake solution. Enough hardware for two intakes (not including radiator clamps) plus the UNI filter for $27. I can post a parts list for anyone interested. The filter is 6", the tubing is the same diameter as the carb, 1.75". I ran the gearbox vent and crank vent to atmosphere with an inline filter.

Carb was absolute trash. Needle jet seized in seat, main jet broken from being overtightened.

I ordered a new one with a main jet assortment for $30.

That is my first question to you guys - I'm assuming the vacuum line from the intake downstream of the carb (goes to the side of the carb) is the fuel pump. On the new carb this port is plugged.

Do I need to get an external vacuum petcock or will gravity suffice?