View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Contributor

I finally got access to the buggy.

I'm trying to keep up with how much weight I'm adding to the buggy. Not much here..

This was taken just before I went absolutely nuts with the new-to-me MIG welder..

I added weld everywhere without thought. I just wanted the practice and figured it wouldn't hurt anything.

I was wrong. I put a bead of weld right by the holes for the control arms. I had to go back and grind it down.. lol

Also added weld where there wasn't any on the bulkhead mount. Haven't added a gusset yet. That is coming..

My son asked if he could help with final assembly. I may have startled him when I said, "YES!"

Hardware:
4x 1/2-13x8" for the control arms due the added plates.
2x 5/16-18x2" for the bolts that pass through the frame tube and into the control arm.
4x 3/8-16x1" for the bolts that pass through the bulkhead into the lower frame mount tab.

I still have the 2" spacers on the rear. The front looks pretty wide. Probably a good thing as it sits higher than I was expecting.

Fronts shocks are RFY. Going to try my luck with them. Actually looking forward to changing the oil in them and potentially doing a complete overhaul in the future. The catastrophic failures I've read about seem to be with the clevis mount models. As they sit they bottom out pretty easily by jumping on the front end (150lbs). I'll address geometry issues later. Ready to get this thing going.

Last edited by Pripyat; 10-12-2017 at 05:33 PM.