View Single Post
Old 11-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Contributor

You guys did not tell me these things multiply!

Is there a contest for worst condition buggy? If there is I think I have a candidate. I posted a wanted ad for a go kart that didn't run. This guy messaged me and said I could have it for $50. The engine was recently rebuilt and it needed a steering wheel. I drove 2 hours to pick this thing up..

Not sure how this even happens. Not to mention hub is welded on axle.

Engine mount tab apparently broke at some point. Welds all the way around.

JB weld?

Lower bulkhead mounting tab had apparently broken off at some point.

The frame attachment above the bulkhead appears to have been re-welded, too.

Lower tab has been replaced. Ball joint replaced with hex bolt and lots of washers. Gussets on spindle cut off to accommodate large washers?

Opposite side they used a carriage bolt.

Has uneven control arms. Upper is bent pretty bad along with the tie rod.

I have no idea what I am even looking at here..

Has a neat gas tank. The guy said that "there was some trash in it".

View inside the tank:

The thing had no brake caliper. I'm assuming this nut/bolt is cross-threaded.

There was no air box or air filter. I asked where it was and the guy said that there wasn't one when he got the buggy and his kids ran it without one. Engine was using a quart of oil per hour so he honed the cylinders and installed new rings. Engine makes compression but he couldn't get it to fire due to some electrical issue. Didn't have time to work on it so he sold it.

I just wanted it for spare parts although I think the only usable items are the steering box, frame, and seats. There is 20 or 30 degrees of slop PER WHEEL due to the lack of ball joints. This dude had his kids driving this thing around..