View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 01:49 AM
Supporting Vendor

The dyno chassis and hydraulics

Here's the first version of the dyno. It was a mess, but the hydraulics worked great. I could crank down on the brake and really make a GY6 engine cry.

The frame was an old rusted piece of junk I picked up at an estate auction for $35. I wasn't the only bidder, and I still wonder what in the world the other guy wanted it for.

I used an old Yerf Dog Spiderbox swingarm for the engine cradle. Free from one of our part outs.

The hydraulic tank is an old trashed water heater, cut down and resized for 10 gallons and a flat top welded with vent cap and strainer. Another freebie.

Several NPT bungs were welded into the tank for 2x in-tank oil heaters, temperature sensors, inlet and outlet, and a mechanical temperature gauge.

A heavy duty heat exchanger, honda radiator, and water cooling are being used to remove heat from the hydraulic system. It's critical to tightly regulate the hydraulic temperature, and this will likely end up being a challenge. I'm unsure if the small radiator will be able to eject 15+ HP of heat energy, which is around 40,000 BTU. If not, I made sure there is enough space in the frame to mount a second radiator (or up to 4) in modular fashion.

A little paint goes a long way. Rustoleum safety blue and yellow.

Finishing touches...

Personally, I prefer the look of build projects that are plainly stated and not too flashy over the top visually. Function and a factory look are king in my book. To finish off the appearance and help protect the surface, I pulled out a few new strips of Yerf Dog Spiderbox grip tape.

Last edited by T@BD; 12-08-2017 at 02:16 AM.