View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Power User

Well, as is usual, video is an issue. Got a GoPro Hero for my b-day, using my software, the vid comes out in the slow mo version with the sound out of sync. downloaded a file convertor so i could use windows movie maker and it locked out the start menu on my computer last night. video will have to wait, as it looks like it'll take a long time to get it figured out.

Anyway, on the first run the back end came around a bit more than anticipated and i clipped a tree with the left front tire. bent the tie rod's ball joint at the shoulder.

later in the day i went for a top speed run (of course I turned off my GPS in my pocket while belting in doh!) out on the golf course and then headed home up the back side hill of my "track".
At the base entry is a really large rock on the right and a big stump on the left. always had to squeak through. The front wheel track is now about 2 inches narrower, so i hit the opening probably at 25 mph or so. forgot about the secondary small stump now overgrown with vines next to the big one and hit it dead on the money with the left front. Sheared the bent ball joint. if it hadn't been bent, it might have survived with no damage.

Duct tape is your friend--taped the arm to the ball joint and drove her the rest of the way up and home.

Both impacts are on vid, so when i get it done, some carnage to enjoy.

No damage whatsoever to any other front end component, no play etc. It is the sledgehammer front end all right!

Solution is going to be a small drilled plate on both ends of the steering arm's mounting tube, a shear pin or bolt through it with a heim joint on the tie rod end.

I knew the ball joints were going to be an issue strength wise in relation to the rest of the front end. Best thing to do is take advantage of that fact and make it a replaceable failure point. Carry a few extra pins on the buggy for two minute repairs.

Issue number two to resolve is rear traction. the stock tires are just too slippy. power oversteer is pretty severe. I think power-wise, this thing can handle the new tires i have. It's what caused the first hit.

Top speed on the GPS from run 1 was 39.5, from going around my house--I didn't come close to reaching full speed, ran out of room before i got there, which is why i went out on my course for a run. I think this thing has mid-40s in it!

Ride quality is sweet! tightened up the rear shocks --turns out they're 3-clickers and that improved it. It is banging the rear tensioner mount on the frame, no contact issues with rear travel. It loosened up the chain/tensioner about 4-6 times in the two tests. i really don't like that portion of the stock setup at all. i have it jam nutted both sides, topside has a locknut on it too boot. Needs urethane on both sides.