View Single Post
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 PM
Contributor

99% of the motorcycle shocks I rebuild require a 142psi nitrogen charge. You will have to take it to a shop that can charge shocks (most likely a motorcycle shop) to have it done. I don't think any of the tire places can get much above 90psi, plus it needs to be charged using a "no loss" chuck. I use a 20lbs nitrogen tank w/regulator and a set of ac manifold gauges along with a no loss chuck. That is a about $300 for that set up, unless you already have a nitrogen tank. A shop shouldn't charge any more than $10 to charge a shock, especially if you are bringing four in for the service. As far as oil goes, I am partial to kayaba shock oil. KYB K2C it is about $20 a quart. You could probably do all four with 2 quarts. I would get 3 if it is your first time rebuilding, as you may have a re-do. Make sure to check some videos on shock rebuilds. The bleeding is an important step, and needs to be done a certain way. You may need to buy, or make, a special tool to remove the rebound adjuster. If you have to change seals, you will need to do some grinding. An oil change and recharge should not require grinding.