View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 PM
Lite Contributor

Default Finally got around to working on my 6150!

Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster (in years, anyway) I've had a ASW 6150 bought not running in '12 for 3 or 4 hundred bucks I got running. Navy moved me from GA to VA and I left it in FL for the (very) occasional drive. Now, recently back to VA I moved it up to where I live now which has miles of trails around my house.

So! I got some parts and set to work. New oil for the motor and gear oil to kick it off and I did the following:
1)Replaced the CDI last night with a supposed racing one with an adjustment screw that is supposed to modify the timing. Haven't touched it but am interested if anyone has any experience w/them. I've found limited practical info on making adjustments. I have an old Z car and I've Advan Ed the timing before on it years back. Anyway, took it out for a test run that night and it seemed the same as ever, though I feel like the engine responds better (no occasional backfire) when I come off the throttle.
2)This morning I installed 12gram sliders in place of the stock rollers. I have read they're 13gram stock.
3) Additionally I rejeted the carb. I was expecting a 108 but found a 114. From all my reading I decided on a 130 jet. I have a set of 10 that range from around 100 to 140.
4)Finally, I have put a uni-filter on

Took the cart out this afternoon before I drove down to FL (not in the go kart!) for the weekend. She started up well but I guess I overjeted, as I'm making a little bit of smoke and smells gassy. I was hoping for a little more off the line response, though it seemed to hold RPMs a little higher, longer. I may go with lighter sliders again. Everything I saw was that the 12g slider would react like a 10g roller. Hoping it running way rich is robbing some power. Just gotta settle on whether I'll go to a 125 or down to a 120. Any suggestions appreciated.

Anyways, just looking to try to have a modded climbing ability a little better and retain the 35-40 mph flat out it'll do. My kids are 5, 4 and 1 and are enjoying going for rides. I actually got them a dune racer power wheel w/an 18v battery setup they can hit probably 8 mph on. All the fun toys I never got to have as I kid... It's never too late to play with toys and have fun!