View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Power User

Default Engine choice -- need input

I hate to open a new thread for this, but i really need to make up my mind and pick an engine option for my yerf. I intend to stick with the 30-series TC setup and want to be in the 8-10 hp range with electric start. So far my options are the following:

Lifan 9 hp, about $330 shipped
LCT (China) 9hp, a little cheaper than above
Blue Max GX 9hp clone, about the same as above
Subaru Robin 9hp, about $600
GY-6 type 150 or 250--- ????

Of the basic horizontals, the Subaru wins hands down on quality and support (hot rod parts are slowly coming), but the price is just killing me.

I'm pretty sold on the Lifan over the LCT or Blue max. Lifan has some minimal support and a few hot rod parts here and there, but at least it looks like a well-established company with a reliable engine for a decent price.

A GY-6 type. These things are a big unknown to me. A lot i see for sale that don't have a carb on them. I know they're used on buggies, but do they work with a 30 series TC or am I into a complete re-fabrication session on the back end to make one work? Pricing seems all over the place and I don't know which "type" to purchase for a kart. If it's an easy install that doesn't require a lot of extra components and can be had in the $400 range, then i'd go for it. I don't mind fabbing frame parts/mounts etc, but if i have to do new axle, sprockets, TC etc., then it's likely a no go.

Any and all input welcome. TIA