Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Heavy Contributor

I got the a-arms finished with heims, grease zerks, acetal bushings and shock mounts. Still have to weld in and brace the upper shock mounts. It took some head scratching, a couple of different patterns and a lot of shifting around to find the sweet spot for optimum shock travel with those upper mounts.
Had one minor set back, I originaly planned to use a 8" wide wheel on the front but after getting it assembled enough to check wheelbase I found I was too wide. So I had to order a pair of 5" wide wheels to get me under a 54" wheelbase limit I was shooting for. It's real close, 53.3. Too much camber and I might not pass!
I'm sure glad I haven't ordered the tires yet! The 8" wheels I can use for spares but I woud have had to eat the tires.
Still have to mount the rack and pinion, extend the tie rods and fabricate some stand-offs. The front will be finished and then get started on the rear swing arm. This will involve machining more bushing, beefer motor mounts, extra axle bearing supports, new caliper and shock mounts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 090.jpg (94.1 KB, 152 views)