Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 AM
Supporting Vendor

What one must remember is that these buggies were designed for kids and still are, so keeping the price to a minimum is essential, combine this with the fact that the stock shocks are designed around the geometry and weight distribution of the buggy, so an atv shock although may be better in one area but worse in another. Now I'm not trying to sell but just stating the facts. Back in 2006 Blade offered me a set of Works shocks to try out so he could get the needed feedback as to what kind of difference they made. I received the shocks and installed them and was impressed with their good looks and the smoother ride. I called to order another set for my son's buggy and was knocked over at the price he give me for the 4 shocks of $900.00 half of what I paid for the buggy. I said no #%$&in way. The more I drove the buggy though I realised not only the smooth ride but the improved handling and stability. Prior to the shocks I rolled the single seater twice, bent an axle, broke the final drive shaft and broken a front strut all in the first 2 years. After the shocks were installed I can run much faster on all terrain and have yet to flip the buggy. I have also had to replace no parts since. When I used to ride my land 30 mph was about as fast as I could go since the buggy bounced so much there was very little control, which is how I flipped it. I have much better control and can top 40 with no problem and this is an honest 40 and not going by the factory speedo. I can take the curves and turns without letting off the throttle. I still have a $2000.00 buggy but it handles like a $10,000.00 buggy with just shocks alone. I had called Works and wanted some shocks for the Carbide and since they did not have them in their file I had to give them answers to about 30 questions including the weight of each axle along with total weight. The person who spent the just under $1000.00 for the 4 shocks was so impressed he said it was the best money next to the engine mods he had spent on the buggy since he can now realise the full potencial of the mods. I have since sold 2 more sets to his buddies. Spring rate is only one part of the equasion, there is bore size, piston diameter, as well as the valving to figure in. An ATV has a shorter wheel base weight distribution on all 4 wheels, controll arm movement ect. I have to agree with most that these are pricy and when money is tight one has a rough time justifying the purchase. I'm currently needing shocks for my Joyner 650, but instead of buying the same shock I am saving for a set of works. Until then I'll have to nurse these and maybe in the intrim I can find a set of good used Joyner shocks from someone I associate with. I had always thought that a shock was a shock but now know differently.