Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 09:49 AM
Heavy Contributor

Well, what I thought was an easy fix turns out to be a serious snafu!
In my prevous post I shortened the rack in the steering in a attempt to center the pinion box. Don't do it!!!! This has caused the the pivot points of the tie rods to be incorrect. They have moved inboard enough to cause a bind and slightly pull up on the suspinsion while in a full turn position. A full turn to the right picks up on the left side a-arms and vise -versa. Not good! This will cause the buggy to roll out in a sharp turn at speeds. If anything, I need the suspinsion to work the opposite to maintain stability.
So.. I got two choices, one is to keep the rack as is and use a cleavis and heim on the rack ends of the tie rods to move the pivot ponts back out to the oringinal positons. Or use a another rack, leave the length alone and cut a bunch of teeth on the long side until the box is centered . I'm leaning towards the cleavis/heim solution as this will give me more adjustability.
A lesson learned here.. Don't mess with the original geometry diminsions of the the steering. Even though it appears quite simple and plain, there has been some serious engineering applied into the original design.