Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Heavy Contributor

About that steering R&P problem I was having with the tie rod bind. I got one of the engineers at work to use one of the cad computers to draw out the front suspinsion. After watching the animation it was obvious where the problem lay. X-bird called it, the tie rod pivot points were too far inboard. the pivot points needed to be .65" further out. So, as I didn't like the swival joint anyway and the easieast way to fix was to make a cleavis and place the pivot point correct. plus a big savings over buying another R&P, I made cleavis' and ordered left and right hand heims and bungs to make new tie- rods.
Since the steering snafu stopped work on the front, I jumped back to the swing arm. T3beatz posted he was interested in the Azusa axle so I am posted a few pics of the axle in place and the stock hub/ machine coupler mod. The center bearing support is in and the brake calipers are mounted. I haven't fabbed the outer supports yet.
I'm using two discs on the rear axle plus the front discs so I'll have brakes on all for corners. This thing should scoot pretty good but it won't be worth a dang if I can't stop it! The brake system will be two independent systems with two masters. one for front and one for back. the front system will have a lever style proportioning valve so I can adjust front to back brake bios on the fly. This will enable me to lock up the rear to aid in turning while keeping the front brakes loose so I don't loose steering control. A quick flip of the lever enables all for corners to lock up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 104.jpg (95.6 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 108.jpg (93.9 KB, 134 views)