Thread: first glimps
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
Thanks CKAU, I see it better now that you drew it out and got a close up pic of the box, I am assuming you drilled the holes for weight and access to the brake bolts??

I got 2 axle mount kits form BMI in the mail today, and those hangers look kinda small compared to the stock ones, but thats ok. I now have enough hangers to complete the added bearings, just need to score another bearing at some point, and get the axle coming. I like the way you boxed in the stock hangers with the same plate as the outer box, I was going to gusset it anyways.
Your right I drilled the boxes to shed a little weight and for access to the caliper bolts.
I kept with stock hangers for two reasons..
Keeping the same dimensions makes the fab work easier. The aftermarkets are a different size, smaller plate dimensions. The boxes would have some weird angles in order to keep the bearing mounts centered.
The stock hanger configuration/shape. allow the axle to drop out at a forwards angle. the aftermarkets,(BMI) the axle drops out the bottom. If I were to mix them up I would be forced to completely disassemble the axle, then slide it out from one end or the other to remove. Keeping the hanger shapes the same allow me to unbolt the bearing flangettes and drop the axle off the swing arm as a whole unit. Makes it fairly quick and painless if I need to replace a bearing, rotor or switch out a sprocket.