Thread: need belt help
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 05:10 PM
Lurker

Default need belt help

Just bought a used Manco Cart for my daughter. Its a Magnum Express 606b with the robin 6.5 hp motor. The buggy is good, but i have some issues i want to get right. The take off is a little sluggish and the drive belt slips when under any load (like grass) to the point that you can smell the belt and the clutch is very hot. On the street it hooks up a little slowly at first, but then it seems to fully grab within 5 seconds or so. I weigh 185 lbs. I looked up the correct belt and it takes belt 5959. The guy i got it from said this is a brand new belt on it but it doesnt have 5959 stamped on it. I took it off and measured it. It is indeed 27.75" od, and 3/4" wide per specs. It is also an asymetrical belt, so it looks like it may have the right one on it. You can very easily remove the belt, and if you "pinch the slack" i can get about 2 inches of belt away from the pulley. If i pull the belt making the motor pully tight, i can place my hand between the belt and the outside of the rear pulley. Does that even sound right? I thought to simply move the motor forward to tighten things up a bit, but everything slides with it. Any Advice? Also i would like to get the brakes a little tighter. And the brake pedal doesnt come back unless you pull it back with your foot after depressing it. This does make a good parking brake, but it gets old when driving it.
Thank you,
Paul