Thread: need belt help
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Lurker

Thanks.
I had no luck finding a shorter belt so moved the engine forward. Again. It is now about 1.5" forward of where the factory mounts would allow it to be thanks to my drilling slots and fabricating a metal extension plate so the front motor mounts actually were attached to something since i ran out of room on the plate that is attached to the jack shaft. Good news is that the belt doesnt slip anymore and it still has enough slack that it can idle without trying to engage. It appears to be about what they describe in the link you gave me. The bad news is that the driven clutch is now very jerky on take off until it can come together and lock in place. When i give it gas it will start to engage, jerk, bark the tires, release for a second do it again and then after lock in it goes fine. The plastic tabs are all in place, they dont feel overly smooth or glazed. What do i do now? I am tempted just to dump the belt drive all together and go with an old fasioned, depedable centrifugal clutch on a chain drive like my mini bike had as a kid. I have no idea of the cost or trouble this would be, and i wouldnt know what diameter/tooth counts would be comparable to the belt system. Thoughts, comments or suggestions???