View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014, 06:58 AM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteryota View Post
I see the pros and cons of both designs, hex has more play than splines, but like you said, I want my steering wheel straight, after all the front end work we are doing.

I was thinking the Yerf was 5/8", but since I don't have immediate access to it, I wasn't 100%.

I dug through your thread, and while not mentioned, I saw some pics with it installed, and it doesn't look like it gets in the way at all, which is nice. I was hoping to get a peak at your yerf in person last weekend.
It really is a matter of personal choice. The QR I'm using is machined well enough that play if any isn't noticeable. Most all of my play comes from the universals on the shaft. The worst culprit for sloppy linkage comes from those crappy ball joint ends on the tie rods. Replacing those with heims will take out a huge percentage of slack. I got maybe a quarter inch of play at the wheel and can feel tire sidewall/tread flex/resistance when on a hard surface.
The stock yerf shaft is 5/8, the QR was 3/4. it's a simple matter to get a steel bushing to fix that. The male end of the QR that gets welded to the shaft is about a 1,1/2" long so get a bushing at least that length or better.
The QR doesn't get in the way at all and there's zero restriction. There's been a couple of times I've tried, out of old habits, to climb out, forgetting it's there
I'm sorry I missed you, I didn't know you were coming. I would have made a point to be there. It would have been great to meet in person.