View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 PM
Power User

Finished arm #2 tonight and some other odds and ends ...funny how the little things can eat up a lot of time. Had to make two more a-arm through bolts and grind a set of the bushings down for them. Going to eventually convert them to tubes that are threaded on both ends. filed my 2nd spindle tube down to match the new "bolt" for it. Looks like one of the hubs has its bearing set not full seated--rear seal is sticking out further than on the other. from the dirt and surface rust on it, i can see i got it that way, surprised i didn't spot it before.

bored out the first arm for the heim tube and am not liking what i see in regards to the amount of material left around it. 1-1/8th dia. thin wall chrome-moly with a 7/8th hole punch through it does not leave much around it for support. on the inside, i'll make a gusset plate with a rectangular cutout to weld the tube to. I think i'm going to have to overlay a curved piece of 1/8th steel around the heim tube. either that or gusset it it, likely four of them per heim tube, horiz. and vertical.

the closer i get ....

New front shoes ...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270945573411...84.m1439.l2649
worked out to a bit over 40 per tire shipped. They'll gain me another 1/2 inch up front and my 19s will go to the Sunl. Looking into rear tires lately, (thinking 23 to 25) but really think I should move into a set of larger rims and different hubs.

Funds came from four 5 gallon pails of golf club heads broken on the driving range. (about 3/4 of a season's worth of poor golf swings ...keep it up fellas!) if i could actually break those down easily and separate the shells, and ID the alloys, they'd be worth a lot more as most of the faces are titanium and the shells are high grade stainless. Lots of tungsten weights in them as well. Nasty and dangerous to crack them apart though, tried a couple last year and it was just too much work with really sharp, springy metal. sadly i've thrown away 4 to 6 trash can's worth of them over the years.

Last edited by x-bird; 04-01-2012 at 12:01 AM.