View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Power User

I broke my scale weighing the frame --- seriously --- LOL ... gonna pic up 2 cheap bathroom scales so i can weigh it out a little better f/r distribution & corners. With it all said and done, i'm estimating that this will weigh around 350-400 dry. frame alone (no front or rear susp. etc.) looked to be hitting 175 before something went "sproing-crack" in the scale.

My "track" is about 1/2 acre wooded limestone/bedrock outcrop that the farmers never touched and it's scrub-wooded in. Loads of pointed rock and loose chunks. I have about 6 in-out loops through it and will be adding more off the steep side where it drops about 20-feet over a distance of 30 feet. Where's there's soil, it strips away to root or rock pretty quickly as i ride. The trees blow down often because there's nothing to really root into and we get near-constant wind. Getting a lot of off camber ruts with square edged steps as i expose the strata. When thing got to be a clearance issue with the stock setup, i'd just whack the tip of the rock with a sledgehammer and it'd fracture out pretty easily--sharp edges though. It was evidently also a farmer's shooting gallery. i've gathered up a couple gallons of old broken plates, bottles etc.

Sounds like the 6-plys are worth the extra 15 bucks.

I like the way the tread on the Maxxis has a bit of a gap to grab with and the contact would be across a much wider portion of the long sideways lugs. the kendas look like the gaps will be grabbing into the skinny lengthwise lugs.