View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Power User

i had checked their site before i started in on it; couldn't find any model numbers on it except to figure out that it is the standard universal type--could date back to the late 70s/early 80s. I watched their vids on removal, nothing like a brand new one to demo with. LOL

Tried tapping on the rear cap, but didn't want to beat the heck out of it. took that off (it has all 12 discs) and made a puller, but broke two of the little nuts for the cap bolts free from the core and nearly pulled them through the ring.

Ended up splitting it down the seam then cutting the main body all the way around where the inlet pipe is welded into the body. It was as i thought--a slip-on pipe on the core goes around the inlet pipe, for about 2-3 inches. That junction is rusted together. looks like the original fiberglass packing, it was "sealed" with a solid rust scale layer on the outside wrap. The perforated core looks to be about 20% thinner after knocking the scale off.

If i can separate the slip on joint, i can save the core. Have it soaking with PB overnight.
Knew this was going to take some work when i got it, but i enjoy resurrecting things.

Cant' believe the prices on parts for these!

took pics only to discover no SD card in my camera????