View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 08:16 AM
Power User

Finished up the arm mounts last week. A bit difficult with the flexibility of the copper tube. There's a little bit of play in the bolt holes already, I figure I can take it up and fix any little bit of misalignment i may have by either opening up and migging the holes as needed--I'm also thinking about bushing the holes and i can dial it in when enlarging the holes to accept them. Have to see if i can find something sized correctly first.

I did an aluminum scrap run that got me enough to order the bearings and sprockets, so hopefully those are on their way already (surplus center).

Meantime I hit the airplane for some parts for my shifters. Chopped out the control stick which has some nice bushed through tubes and pivot shafts. Going to cut the sprockets on it flat to weld up for the shifter base, then cut the main tube and flip it to put the top pivot in the lower portion of the handle for the linkage back to the tranmission. I may have to put a bellcrank on the rear frame to keep the linkage tube down low--also a way to reverse the direction of the shifts through the gears. Looks like the choke and fast idle handles from the plane are going to be the choke and fast idle set for the buggy. For reverse i may use one of the other control stick chunks or the plane's throttle handle/bracket setup, which has a small, cammed secondary lever for locking it in position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sfront.jpg (88.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg srear.jpg (90.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg stick.jpg (94.4 KB, 23 views)