View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Contributor

Default Side by Side Odyssey

Here is a project I have been toying around with the idea of building. Most of you probably know, my family and I have really been enjoying the Honda FL350 Odysseys and my FL400 Pilot the last couple of years. I am on the last stretch of restoring my 13 year old daughters FL350. At this point, it's basically finished with exception of a few small parts and waiting on the cylinder to come back so I can assemble the engine. My 6 year old has moved up to driving her old Yerf and she loves it as do I but it is under powered for the sandy hills in our area. So.....

I have this extra FL350 bare frame..

I have since sold off all the front suspension since these pics were taken and all that is left is just the bare frame, but... I may just cut it down the middle and replace all the bars that run side to side and widen the frame another 18 inches to make it wide enough for a second seat. I would like to keep the rear width about 60 inches so we would be able to follow the same paths as the other Odysseys & Pilot. If I can widen the frame, which should be pretty easy IMO and it looks like it will all come together and be a safe machine, I will pull this Ody apart and use everything to get the 2 seater running.

I clocked this Odyssey with a GPS at 67.8 mph with my fat butt in the seat so I would think it would have more than enough power to haul my wife and our 6 year old daughter who combined weigh less than I do up most any hill or trail. If not... well then maybe a sled engine will be in order.

I figure worst case & it is a bust, I'll just bolt everything back on the current frame and I am out nothing but my time, & little tubing. But if it will and above all be safe when it's done... well then I think it will be the coolest thing on the trails.

I found these pics on the web a while back..

If you look closely, it started out as an 350 Ody & is just wearing Pilot plastics. The only info I was really able to find on it was, it was said it was bought as is, they don't know who built it, but the conversion was done poorly. However, I am fairly confident I can build one that would be safe.

Anyhow, it is just a thought, but I might just see what I can come up with once the weather starts to warm up.

What do you all think, new buggy project for 2012???