View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Lite Contributor

do yourself a favor, don't buy anything until you can buy a welder, a gas tank and the spool to go with. you should also get a few extra tips, for around 3 to 5 bucks. You cheap out on this up front and believe me, once you actually learn how to weld or if you ever use a mig with gas, you will cuss yourself to no end for having bought a stick welder from sears to weld on a go kart frame. You will blow holes constantly. Those arc welder can be really great, don't get me wrong, but not so much on a tube chasis, and especially not if its what your learning with. BUT , I will throw this out there just in case you have to buy or have bought the arc welder. You would be doing yourself a favor with this no matter what you buy but anyways, look into welding what we call christmas trees. I need to get going for now but welding trees when your new can REALLY be your best bet at teaching yourself. I weld for a living, trees are the way every new guy starts out. Good luck, and dont forget to look in pawn shops, my last welder purchase was a lincoln, 175 pro mig, a 220 volt welder and I got it for 200 bucks. spent a little over 100 bucks buying a big tank for it,and poof. Pro welder in the garage and it works like a champ. snoopy