View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 02:01 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bird View Post
compressed air is what i use for redoing automotive calipers. haven't sat down to look at this one yet--just got it the other day. remove the brake pads and banjo fitting, close the bleeder if it isn't, wrap a towel several times around the caliper and give it a shot with an air gun that has a rubber end so you can seal it against the brake line hole. do not have your fingers anywhere near the area of the piston/pads and make sure it's not pointing at something you value ... just in case ..
x-bird ! thanks !!! worked (finally) after using PB Blaster over and over and twisting the pistons back and forth, finally got it out. One thing I learned in the process today, is to open the bleeder valve for the first shot of air, get any remaining brake fluid out, then close it. Also it took a long blast of air to finally get the piston out, one still stuck. And yes, the one that finally came out went 20+ feet when it blew !!!!
There are 2 rubber o-rings inside, will start playing with those to see if I can replace them.
From the picture below, the piston should have no reason not to lock the brakes up, you can see it will go all the way to the other side. btw - the hole inside the piston chamber is VERY small, I can see why you have to keep the fluid VERY clean.

First picture is the caliper with the pistons as far as the master cylinder could push them, Second picture is after blowing them out with air.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0068.jpg (34.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0080.jpg (22.5 KB, 28 views)