Thread: GY-6 Newbie
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 PM
Lurker

Default GY-6 Newbie

Good afternoon all. I'm waltinbatonrouge. and new to your site...

I received a call from a friend who owns an independent ATV/motorcycle shop about an electrical problem with a Yerf Dog 34800 Rover circa 2003.

The last project, a couple of weeks ago, was resurrecting the electrics on a 1976 Honda CB750K6...it took me about 7 hours but now it starts, blinks, toots and lights.

Anyway on the yerfdog ...the wiring harness has overheated and melted around the starter solenoid and worked its way back through most of the engine harness.

The owner bought a new harness and asked that i install it.
I'd need to determine why it failed first.

My background ..did Avionics on F4-J's during the Vietnam war, then other electro-mechanical stuff and I can use a Fluke.

A'hem..So I started with a fair amount of research on your fine site..Thank you very much!

I connected a hot battery + directly to the starter lead with the - batt to frame ground.

The Engine cranks very slowly with a lope. The negative lead again gets very warm.

I pulled the spark plug, then the engine seems to crank at somewhere near a normal speed for a 150cc Honda motor. sounds fine

Heres my question...normally i'd look first at the starter for a king sized current draw.
i did read a bit of info about shorted starters on the GY-6 from oil intrusion trough a faulty o-ring.

However..before i start counting hours on this rare little beast, i thought i would approach the collective and see how likely it is that a stator and or CDI also went to lunch along the way.

Any thoughts tips or tricks...I can easily send pics if they would help.

most appreciatively

walt

Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 08-24-2017 at 09:50 PM.