Thread: can any help
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Lurker

Default Yerf 3202

Hi Bobby28,

My kids have same kart and I just replaced a broken spindle, so here are some suggestions. Yerf must have changed design over years, because ours is very different. Our spindles are stepped and a-arms are different. Ours have 3 holes to select from when mounting shock to a-arm, to allow for camber adjustment, yours dosn't.

Anyway here are some thoughts:

1. Your camber really looks OK to me, but because of the single a-arm design, will likely change a lot dependant on weight in cart. Only way to easily change that without the multiple mounting holes is to adjust the shocks. I think you would need to juryrig a spring compressor to unload the spring to rotate the adjuster (I've never done it so cannot tell you how). That's all I can offer you on the camber. It truly looks fine to me and will effect tire wear, but not make the tire hit the frame.

2. The a-arm should not be able to be pushed back at all toward the frame if you push the tire back to the frame. If yours does you need to tighten up the two long bolts where the a arms attach to the frame at the front center of the cart. It should be loose enough to pivit up and down, without any front to back movement towards the frame. The design on ours puts the tires within a 1/2 inch of the frame when steering is fully turned.

3. Our tires are pushed out just a tiny bit further than yours. Your spindle has 1 washer, a spacer, another washer and then the tire/rim. Ours has 2 washers, a spacer, the tire/rim a washer and then the nylon lock nut. That will clear frame a bit more. It's also a lousy design as the nut literally comes out to the last thread on the spindle - a very scary design. We bought it used, so that's how ours is to just clear the frame. Not sue if that's how it left factory, but wheels have not fallen off in 4 years - so guess it's OK.

4. As mentioned by another member - your tire rod is bent. You might want to take it off and hammer straight. Should do, but not likely causing any issues. Our tie rods are mounted to the spindles from the top, not the bottom like yours. Likely just a difference in the spindle design change, but thought I'd mention it. Also be sure to adjust tie rods to even out turning to both sides, although I assume you have already done that.

5. Lastly tire size on ours is 15 x 6.00 x 6. Might want to check that as if someone put tires too big on your it will definately hit frame as the design will put the tire very close to frame.

Hope that helps some.