View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Power User

A little bit o progress. completed 1 lower arm over the weekend and fitted the spindle. Yerf rack in stock form has adequate tie rod length, so i may only need to notch the rack. won't know till i get everything located and connected. Figured out both ends of the front shock mounts, arm end is going to be easy, frame end a royal fiddly pita--which i expected. The change in arm design and rims (below) has cut my overall front track width from 53 to 50" looking at a nice increase in ride height upfront.

Resolved my rim/heim interference issue -- took one of the 8-in. dia. atv rims i got with my $20 tires and made their bolt pattern into a 4 on 4". They're offset about 1.5 compared to the golf cart rims, which are dead center. The hole diameters were around 5/16th and the center to center was about 3.75" so i'm not really sure what they were (4 on 3.75" or 147 mm???) Measured and marked where the 4" spacing holes outside edges would be in relation to the center hole. Took a die grinder in the drill and carefully worked 3/4 of the original bolt hole's circumference wider towards the outside of the rim. my studs are 1/2" .. so once it was close, i used my 1/2 drill to run the hole walls square, followed that up with a chamfer on either side with a step drill. I think i'll be looking for crush lock nuts for these since they're flat plate mounting surfaces without the stamped out taper area. They went on the hubs nice and snug, maybe 1/32nd of deviation from center. if they vibrate/run noticeably eccentric , no big loss, i'd like to upgrade to 10 inchers anyway and the Sunl can use the tires i have on the yerf.