View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 08:16 AM
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3beatz View Post
5/8" grade 8 bolts are pretty strong and should take tons of abuse... a yerf shouldn't bend one and if it does your doing some pretty high jumping. I'd think the welds or something else would break before the axles do.
I tend to go overkill, but i take the view of "what would happen if something fails--what's next in line to keep my butt alive .." I've busted up a lot of equipment in my time in my various job travels. last year my trailing decks busted their 3/4 hardened link pins and tore the arms to pieces when the towing arms bound up backing up out of a "too tight situation". Leverage and the application of torque is a pretty amazing thing ... (hence my ample supply of box tubing pieces)

The hubs i chose--based on the rims i had --dictated my axle size, resulting in a lot of unsprung weight. the version i'm working on now is a lot lighter than the single arms were with the same basic components. if you watch my vid with the "tec's last ride" you can see the weight of the tire/spindle assembly overpowering the stock shocks. They had no ability to keep the tire on the ground and i was only "puttering" around at about 1/2 speed on that ride. that extra weight out there adds a lot of stress, which i try to account for. But i also know i can slam this thing into things that might prove disastrous for others.

Anyway i fully get where msm's thinking is coming from and it is correct for his application. When it comes to suspension, there's always a compromise that has to be made--no 2 ways about it.