View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributor

Default 30 minute Yerf Dog spindle repair

I thought I would post this & hope it might help someone else. My daughter took me for a wild ride yesterday and I am sure the fact that I am way to big for the Kart, help cause the bent the right side spindle. I had to call my wife to come pick us up with my truck because the tie rod was hitting the tire.

I figured I could easily fix it myself but looked into a new set of spindles and when I saw the 160.00 price tag I decided it was time to break out the welder.

I pulled the spindle off and stuck it into my press to straighten it but I am sure I could have easily done it in the vise.

Once it was straight i made some quick card board templates to cut out the 1/8 steel.

Welded them onto the spindle..

I went and test fit it on the kart and then realized I made the gussets about 1/2" to long and it was rubbing the lower control arm when you turn tight, so I just hit it real quick with a grinder and and clearanced it. Next just squirted a little rattle can silver on it and I was done.

Not my best work but it looks pretty indestructible now. I only spent about 30 minutes on this start to finish. I just need to let the paint dry and bolt it back on and she is ready to go...