View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 10:49 AM
Heavy Contributor

Guess time for update. Got everything back together few weeks ago. Sucker was running good. (Was) a key word. Drove it all weekend, and the last night did a major boo boo. About 10:00 that night, kids ran out of gas. It was very dark. Was about 1000 feet down road.
So had little gas left over in gas tank, so put in rest.
Thing would fire, start, but only stay running at full choke.
Could tell not running right. Able to keep it running at very low rpm. So slowly got it back, and shut it down for night. Thought maybe just hot. So shut it down for night.
Next morning, went back out, fired it up. Smoke like crazy. Smoking like crazy. Was like, crap. Now what? Look around engine, then noticed it. The fuel in the clear fuel filter, was red! For min. I had to wonder what the hell? Then it hit me. Yep,,,,,,, wrong gas!!!! Diesel!!!!!
Long story short, needed some diesel a few weeks ago, when buggy was down. Only gas tank had was the buggy gas tank. I remember telling myself, DON'T FORGET TO DUMP AND CLEAN THIS OUT RIGHT AWAY. Even told my wife, don't let me forget.

Well, we both forgot. I drained it all out. Took carb off, cleaned it all out. Dumped and cleaned both tanks.
So fired it back up.
It fired up pretty quick. Ran for about 5 mins. Thought cool we still good. Then looked at exhaust. Could see crazy heat fumes coming out of it. Even some smoke.
Like F÷$^#% %#=:*.... looked at temp on trail tech. Was over 400.
I really don't know if repairable. However, just so happened we getting some money from a previous year of taxes. Just enough to cover the price for new 175cc engine. And since was partly my wife fault, (at least what I told her.) got the ok to just replace entire thing. Could have saved alot of money, by taking one of my other engines, and rebuild it. But if was going to replace engine, I was going bigger. 175cc. I wanted to go stroker. But at this time, not an option.
Maybe this winter, I will make that happen. I've already got the crank for it. Just not for sure all ins and outs on it, to safely make that conversion. So might need help with that down the road.
So me and kids excited about the new engine. I think wife is to. She asked again yesterday, when it was coming in. Not sure yet. Just sent in list of upgraded parts I want to go with it. And need to send in my reverse shaft to them, so they can install it. I'm just so busy at work now. But Hoping to get it, in few weeks, if get shaft sent off in morning. Means I'll be pulling shaft out late tonight.
All that said.
What kind of difference can I see in the 175cc, compared to 150cc, but not stroked?
And a main question. Recommendation for break in???
I've read many different ways. But does sound like I will need to adjust values.
Seen, to break it in slowly.
And more then few spots, seen to drive it like you stole it.
Anyone first hand know how on this subject?