View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 01:43 AM
Lite Contributor

Tk, in my experience with motorcycle carbs (a pair of VM34's on a 650 twin most recently): hesitation off idle when stomping the gas is an indication of high fuel levels in the bowl. Now, that's not to say your floats are too high - my VM34's do the same thing and I've spent hours upon hours messing with them. But try adjusting the float height a LITTLE and see if there's any change.

If you think about the differences between CV and VM carbs it makes more sense. On a CV carb you pull the throttle cable, the butterfly valve opens at the same rate, but the slide moves up according to the vacuum created by the motor (which at idle, there isn't near as much vacuum as WOT). So the throttle response seems much more linear with the throttle pull. With VM carbs, you stomp the gas pedal and the slide hits the top RIGHT NOW. Problem is, the lower rpms of the motor don't quite have enough vacuum to suck in that much air / fuel right away, so it needs to build up a little (and hesitate the throttle response).

That's breaking it down to simple terms......and carbs are definitely not simple items. Hope that helps a little though!