View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Contributor

It runs, and everything checks out good . It was definitely a chore and I had to go through most of the systems, but now I know that I have a good working engine and transmission for my build. Once I got a new solenoid on it, I discovered that the starter wouldn’t turn. However, to get the starter off, I had to pull off both CVT clutches and the backing plate. The problem was that both of the clutches need a puller to get them off. Luckily, I was able to find the dimensions for the pullers off of another forum, so I was able to make the pullers myself.

Once I got the starter off, I discovered the problem. On one end of the starter it had a bushing. On the other end, it had a sealed bearing. The sealed bearing had frozen up from lack of use. I was able to get the seals off of the bearing, then I let it soak with penetrating oil. I worked the bearing with a set of pliers and was able to get it to spin free. I then repacked it with grease, and now it works fine. I will probably replace the starter in the future, but for now it served its purpose.

The carburetor was another story. I have rebuilt quite a few carbs in my time, but this one was about the worst that I have run across. It was so full of gunk and the main jet screw (bolt) in the carb base even had a hole in it from water sitting in it. I considered buying one off of eBay, but they are kind of pricey. So I took the carb apart and let it sit in a can of Berrymans for a day. Then cleaned it up and put it in an ultra-sonic cleaner. Luckily there is a motorcycle salvage yard in town and I was able to get the main jet bolt. Surprisingly I was able to clean out all of the carb passages and will be getting a rebuild kit in the future.

I then bolted everything up and tried to start it. With a 2 stroke that has sat, you never know what type of gunk has built up in the crankcase. So I left the muffler off and just ran the header section. The engine wouldn’t fire at first, so I tried some starting fluid. It then fired and proceeded to kill every mosquito within a ¼ mile. Plus it blew crap all over the quad and my driveway.

Once the smoke cleared out, I was able to do some checking. The Variator worked like it was supposed to, the transmission seems to work in all gears without grinding, and the electrical system is charging the battery .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1340.JPG (96.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1341.JPG (88.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1343.JPG (90.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1344.JPG (88.0 KB, 18 views)

Just added - 2007 Joyner 250 SV - Let the fun begin

4-Dirt Bikes, Baja Bug and enough toys to keep me in the garage and out of trouble.