View Single Post
Old 10-23-2017, 08:02 AM
Contributor

So I messed with one of the shocks a little bit. The aluminum they are made of is very soft. I scuffed the shock all up trying to figure out how to disassemble the thing. I'll post more pictures and how-to when I get to the second shock. I made it a lot more labor-intensive than it had to be...

A tool is required to get the threaded piece off the bottom where the shaft goes into the shock body.

The tool worked but for the life of me I couldn't get the seal out the bottom of the shock. I used every means I could think of (minus a slide hammer) and it wouldn't budge. Ended up not pulling that part of the shock apart.

I didn't use the bottom hole at all so on the next shock I'll only be drilling/tapping a single hole. I passed a LOT of fluid through the shock trying to get any trash out the shock body since I wasn't disassembling. Filled with 7wt and re-assembled.

I still don't have all the air out but it feels entirely different. Like a different shock. Perceived stiffness of the shock is night and day. The feel didn't really change until I got to the last little bit of air. Apparently air bubbles are a big deal. More on shocks later.

I cut up the mounts for my light bar and prepped them for welding.

I was about to zip tie a motorcycle tail light onto the buggy then remembered I had the welder. I only had a piece of scrap steel from a filing cabinet so I made do with what I had..

Looks really shotty but I'm actually quite proud considering it only took an hour.