View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 11:51 PM
Contributor

The shaft is one piece.

It sounds like you for sure damaged the ball joints.

I would unhook both ball joints and check the ball joints on both by hand.

You have to remember that the tires are connected through the steering box what happens to one happens to the other one as well.

The impact would have damaged the ball joint on the side of the impact but could have damaged both.

You may not be able to see the damage but will be able to feel it once its unhooked.
It could also have damaged the spindle once you disconnect the ball joint you will be able to turn the tire right and left by hand and feel for resistance and damage.

Once you have checked this you can turn the steering wheel by hand to determine if there is damage/resistance in your steering box.

Its possible that you sheered some teeth but logic would dictate that you would have a dead spot in your steering if that is what happened. If you bent the teeth but didn't shear them then you would feel a binding.

If you bent the teeth in the steering box depending on how bad then its possible to take a file and remove the bowing in the teeth.

Keep in mind that if you have to file the teeth then it is for moving the buggy around only and it is no longer safe to ride.

Check your ball joints first they are the weak link.
Then with the ball joints disconnected check that your tires move left and right freely with out catching, binding or popping. Lift them up and down as well to make sure you don't have play.

Then with ball joints unhooked check your steering it should move free and smooth all the way in both directions.

If it doesn't then you really should replace the steering box.
I only mention the file option to allow you to move the buggy around if needed I would not put my kids safety at risk by letting them ride it as normal if I had to file the steering teeth. Once compromised those teeth can shear at any time and you don't want that to happen at any speed.

When you do all of this check your A Arms and other steering/suspension parts. Remember just cause you cant see the damage doesn't mean it isn't there. But you should feel it when you move it by hand.

Im no expert by any means just giving you my thoughts on the issue.