Thread: Help please.
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2019, 03:17 PM
Heavy Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYCARMS View Post
Just cause the belt climbs the pulley fully does not mean you are going the same speed.
At a given RPM I believe it does mean that you are going the same speed.
Quote:
The engine is not built around the gearing the gearing is built around the engines power curve. The lower the rpm when belt reached top of pulley the longer you will make power to speed the vehicle.
I agree that if the top RPM isn't reached before the belt reaches the top of the pulley you will keep accelerating until top RPM is reached.

Quote:
If RPM's are max when belt reaches top of pulley you will not pickup any more speed
Agreed, but the speed will be the same at a given RPM because the gear ratio is the same.

With all that being said I'm sure there's a curve. Meaning, if the engine can't reach top RPM because of a lack of power it wont reach top speed, I also suspect the belt wouldn't go through it's full range of motion, in this particular under powered scenario.. I would think this would more likely happen with heavier rollers not lighter though. If the rollers were too heavy it would essentially try to shift to the higher ratio too fast for an under powered engine

Last edited by liduno; 05-22-2019 at 03:29 PM.